Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

RECAP: #4 Gee-Gees split weekend, going to OT twice

Photo courtesy of Laurel Jarvis
Photo courtesy of Laurel Jarvis


On Friday, the Gee-Gees women's basketball team defeated U SPORTS seventh-ranked Guelph Gryphons 77-74 in overtime. The Gee-Gees fought off a valiant push from the Gryphons that pushed the game into an extra fame.

The teams battled completely evenly though the first quarter, with the game sitting at a 14-14 tie after 10 minutes. Throughout the next two quarters, the Gee-Gees built as high as a 14-point lead, only to have it evaporate in the final frame.

The big lead allowed for the Gee-Gees to get different players on the court with every player dressed seeing time on the court in the second half.

Guelph outscored the Gee-Gees 22-10 in the fourth to force overtime, but the comeback effort fell short as Ottawa was too much for Guelph to handle in the extra frame.

Tyra Blizzard led the Gee-Gees in the game with 17 points, while Katherine Follis (14), Natsuki Szczokin (11), and Alana Renon (10) rounded out players in double-figures


The Gee-Gees had a day of travel before playing the Algoma Thunderbirds in Sault Ste. Marie on Sunday. Ottawa lost a heartbreaker in overtime by a final score of 66-65 to the previously winless Thunderbirds. 

The first quarter saw the Gee-Gees offence come out of the gate a little slow. The teams were neck-and-neck until the end of the quarter when the Gee-Gees defence tightened up and the offence got their shooting stroke back. 

The Gee-Gees came out firing in the second quarter. Led by Brigitte Lefebvre-Okankwu, Ottawa started to take control of the paint and led by as much as 13 in the quarter.

The Gee-Gees struggles on offence came back after the half as Algoma took a lead into the fourth quarter. The Gee-Gees only scored four points in the third quarter and were on their heels heading into the final frame.

The back-and-forth battle continued in the fourth. Anne Carr hit a huge shot with the shot clock expiring and one-minute remaining, however, the progress was erased by a Thunderbird three-pointer to tie the game. In overtime, Carr once again stepped up with a huge and-one to give the Gee-Gees the lead. 

On the following possession, the Thunderbirds hit two shots at the free-throw line to take the lead and seal the win. 

Lefebvre-Okankwu led the Gee-Gees with 16 points, while Carr had 11 off of the bench. 


The Gee-Gees will return home for matchups with the York Lions (5-3) and Lakehead Thunderwolves (1-7). Both games tip off at 6 p.m. and will be streaming live on Tickets are available online at