Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

RECAP: Gee-Gees secure second-seed, grind out win at Queen’s

Gee-Gees players
Greg Mason
On Saturday, the Gee-Gees made the short road-trip to Kingston to take on the Queen's Gaels in their homecoming game, closing the OUA regular season with a 27-22 win at Richardson Stadium.
Coming into the matchup, both teams had something to significant play for. The Gee-Gees knew that a win secured them as the second-seed in the OUA Yates Cup Playoffs. While for the Gaels, a win, along with other help from out-of-town games could lead them to the postseason.
The Gee-Gees took a quick lead in the game with quarterback Sawyer Buettner hitting hometown star Carter Matheson (125 yards, 1 TD) for a touchdown in the only score of the first quarter.
Forcing turnovers has been a key facet of the Ottawa defence this season, and yet again their ability to take the ball away paid off greatly. In the second quarter, a strip sack deep in the Gaels end wound up in the hands of defensive lineman Francis Perron for a Gee-Gees touchdown.
The teams would trade field goals through the remainder of the first half, before a Queen's dominant third quarter had the game within two points until the Gee-Gees defence stepped up once again.
Throughout the game, interceptions from Jamie Harry, Marc-Elie Jace, and Michael Pezzuto, along with four sacks from the defensive line haunted QB Nate Hobbs and the Queen's offence. It was Jace's pick in the fourth quarter that was of particular significance as he returned it 67 yards to the Gaels' two yard-line. A short Buettner sneak for a touchdown proved to be the difference-maker in the contest.
Running back Dawson Odei was once again a difference-maker in the win, rushing for 111 yards on 21 carries, his fourth 100-yard plus performance of the season. As regular season stats became final, Odei officially ranked second in the OUA in yards per game with 108.9 per contest.
"It was a tough fought game," said Odei. "We had to fight, it was a big homecoming game, but luckily we were able to come out on top."
The win, though closer than comfort for the Gee-Gees at some points, secured a final regular season record of 6-2 and a top-two finish in the OUA for the first time in eight years.
"There's so many things that are positive right now," said Gee-Gees head coach Jamie Barresi. "Obviously the team should be proud of the fact that they earned a bye, secondly to end up 6-2 in this conference is quite a feat."
Up next, Western (#1) and Ottawa (#2) will watch closely as Guelph (#3) host Waterloo (#6) and Carleton (#4) hosts McMaster (#5) next weekend. The Gee-Gees will take to the field once again to play the highest remaining seed at Gee-Gees Field on Nov. 3.
Odei and the Gee-Gees do not seem to concern themselves too greatly with possible matchups. Having played and defeated each of the three teams they may take on in Guelph, Carleton, and McMaster there is strength in understanding their opponents. 

"We just have to focus on ourselves and what we're going to do. This bye week is huge because we get some rest and get to focus up a little bit more before we go back at it."