February 7, 2020
- The Matchup: #6 Ottawa Gee-Gees (15-4, 2nd in the OUA East) vs. #1 Carleton Ravens (19-0, 1st in the OUA East)
- Location: The Arena at TD Place (Ottawa, Ont.)
- Tip-off: 8:00 p.m. EST
- Watch Live: CBCSports.ca & CBC Gem app / RogersTV Ottawa (French) / OUA.tv
- Listen Live: TSN 1200
- Last Meeting: Carleton def. Ottawa 69-65 – Dec. 4, 2019
OTTAWA GAME NOTES
- Major Stat Leaders
CARLETON GAME NOTES
- Major Stat Leaders
- Points (per game): Lloyd Pandi – 16.7 pts.
- Assists (per game): Marcus Anderson – 3.5 ast.
- Rebounds (per game): Lloyd Pandi – 6.7 reb.
- Field-goal percentage: Lloyd Pandi – 66.7 per cent
- Three-point percentage: Stanley Mayambo – 44.8 per cent
OTTAWA PLAYERS TO WATCH
Fifth-year point guard Calvin Epistola is the heart and soul of the Gee-Gees in his final season. The Toronto native has posted career highs as he attempts to lead the nationally-ranked Gee-Gees to their first U SPORTS title. Epistola has emerged as one of the most consistent performers in the OUA is able to score in bunches, distribute, and defend at an All-Star level. Against Carleton in December, Epistola scored 30 points, four rebounds, and three assists, a performance he will hope to replicate come Friday.
Coming off of winning the OUA Rookie of the Year award last year, forward Guillaume Pépin had his sophomore season delayed by an injury at the start of the regular season. Back healthy to start the second semester of play, Pépin returned to his OUA All-Star form and is averaging 14.2 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game in a key stretch of the season. A multi-talented two-way threat, Pépin has taken an offensive load off the shoulders of Epistola as the Gee-Gees prepare for a run to nationals.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR:
- The Gee-Gees presented the Ravens one of their toughest matchups of the season in the Bytown Battle at the Ravens' Nest. Ottawa will look to carry some of that momentum into Capital Hoops on Friday. The Gee-Gees outrebounded the Ravens by 11, and narrowly outshot their rivals from three-point range. If Ottawa can do both again, look for them to have the Ravens where they want them at the end of the game.
- Turnovers hurt the Gee-Gees immensely in their last meeting, with 21 that translated into 20 points for the Ravens. Cleaning this up will be paramount in what could be another very close matchup.
- With Pépin out of the lineup and Gage Sabean freshly returning from injury, the Gee-Gees were somewhat shorthanded in December. Now with both back in action and hitting their stride, Ottawa has more weapons to use offensively this time around.
- Carleton features one of the most balanced lineups in the nation, it will be key for the Gee-Gees to not let any assignments slip on defence as the Ravens feature offensive threats up and down their roster.
HOW TO WATCH
This year's edition of the Capital Hoops Classic will be available on a number of different outlets. The CBC will carry the feed live online at CBCSports.ca as well as on their Gem app. As usual, the game will also be available on OUA.tv. On television, Rogers TV Ottawa will carry the game live on channel 22 in French.
On the radio, the game will be broadcast live on TSN 1200 radio and available to listen online.
Select tickets are still available online at TDPlace.ca